[Bristol-Birds] Great Blue Herons on the North Fork Holston

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 20:15:17 -0500

Don't believe we have had a report this spring on the status of the Great Blue
Heron nesting colony on the North Fork Holston River at Saltville, VA.

Since the herons are nesting that far up the river from Kingsport,  I wonder
what might be in between.

So today I started in Hawkins County at Kingsport, TN and searched the North
Fork Holston throughout Scott County, VA and into Washington County, VA to
Mendota.

I did not see a Great Blue nor any evidence of nesting.

For that matter,  I did not see a single waterbird I can recall or any species
worthy of note.  It was a dry run.

I hope someone will post the status of the colony at Saltville and maybe even
Damascus, VA.

I did look at Michelle King's Great Horned Owl nest and Rick Phillip's new
Netherland Inn rookery of Great Blue Herons at Kingsport.  Both of these are
excellent discoveries.
So is the horned owl nest at Muddy Creek !

Let's go birding.....