[Bristol-Birds] Fox Sparrow, etc. (Greene Co., TN)

  • From: Alice Loftin / Don Miller <pandion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 19:40:35 -0500 (EST)

February 6, 2010

Greene County: Kinser Park (KP), Greeneville, and nearby areas

Birds were active today, many of them feeding vigorously in open areas in the
chilly, damp weather. I spent about two and a half hours birding and recorded
the following:

Gadwall (14)
Ring-necked Duck
Wild Turkey (36)
Northern Harrier
Winter Wren (KP)
Golden-crowned Kinglet (3)
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Hermit Thrush (KP)
Brown Thrasher (KP)
Cedar Waxwing (400+, Greeneville)
Fox Sparrow (5, KP)
Swamp Sparrow

Interesting note on Fox Sparrow--

This is only the second time that I have found more than two in one day in
Greene County since I began keeping records sixteen years ago. The other
occasion was also on February 6--in 1996. On that day, I also found five. The
location was a private property in western Greene County that I visited along
with James Brooks, Jim Holt, Jo Anne Routledge, and Larry Routledge. We were
responding to a report of a possible Pine Grosbeak, which proved to be a false
alarm, but we found a nice offering of birds nonetheless.

Where did fourteen years go?

Don Miller
Greeneville, Greene Co., TN