[Bristol-Birds] Dickcissel in Buchanan County

  • From: "Ed Talbott" <etalbott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birders" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 18:00:50 -0400

Buchanan / Bristol Birders,

While at the post office in Grundy today I noticed a dead bird next to the
sidewalk.  At
first glance, I thought it was a Palm Warbler but then I realized it was not a
warbler at
all but a juvenile Dickcissel.  This is the first one I had ever seen and it
has only been
seen in this county a couple of times by David Raines over at the Breaks.  I
was getting
some strange looks as people walked by on the sidewalk - me in the gutter,
handling a dead
bird.  The beak was chipped so I surmised the cause of death was probably a
broken neck
from a collision with a vehicle or nearby window.  This is the third bird on my
"death
list" (birds I have found dead but have never seen alive in the wild - please
forgive my
crude naming of the list).  The list is now Barn Owl, Western Screech-Owl, and
Dickcissel.
Now might be a good time to check the reclaimed strip mine areas.  Roger
Mayhorn found a
Sedge Wren yesterday and the Palm Warblers are thick now in these areas.  Maybe
we are
getting a few Dickcissels moving through the area.

Good Birding,

Ed Talbott
Buchanan County Bird Club

and Cumberland Nature Club.