[bristol-birds] Creating a bird bath

  • From: "Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 21:02:06 -0400

Area Birders,
Living on a mountain top where water is scarce as I do, I see the need for
providing the birds with water, especially during this hot year. So I
created a bird bath with an eye toward saving water. If you go to
http://www.bcplnet.org/birdclub/newsletters/Aug02NL.htm and scroll down the
page of our August club newsletter you can see how I did it. In addition to
the birds mentioned in the newsletter that have visited the bath I have also
had Chestnut-sideds, a Magnolia and Yellow-throated Warblers using the bath.
In fact the Yellow-throated provided us with several minutes of enjoyment as
it splashed and played in the water. A Prairie also came to investigate.
Some birds seem to prefer water near the ground as opposed to the
traditional bird bath.

Roger Mayhorn
Grundy, VA
Buchanan County

Bird Club, Herndon Chapter TOS, Greeneville TOS
Chapter, Blue Ridge Birders Club, Butternut Nature
Club, Buchanan County Bird Club, Bristol Bird Club,
Clinch Valley Bird Club and Cumberland Nature Club.
         jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx
           (423)764-3958