[Bristol-Birds] Re: Cooper's Hawk nest

  • From: Dnldhlt@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 00:23:38 EDT

Hey Richard,
     May I presume to suggest that you put out a little something to draw in
a few of the plentiful starlings or doves to help out the hawks? They may
have chosen to nest there because of the artificially elevated numbers of
birds, and cutting them off now, while I'm sure the hawks could survive it,
might seem like you are ungrateful for their presence.  :-)
     Seriously, I hope you get to enjoy the full spectacle of the Coopers
Hawk young fledging and learning to hunt.  I was privileged to witness the
same in my own yard several years ago.  The young started out seemingly
unconcerned with my presence.  I had them land near me often, and sometimes
on the most outlandish objects, including the peak of my house roof and the
roof of a truck (both times laying on their belly as in a nest).  Once I saw
one land on the old junk car I kept in the yard to maintain my redneck
status.  It walked across the hood, peered at the windshield, then pecked on
it!
    Their hunting behaviors may be instinctively motivated, but they require
much practice to hone their skills.  Many zany and unproductive chases were a
delight to watch.  I felt honored to be allowed to watch them from so close,
but I have no doubt it was a tribute to my full bird feeders and not any
acceptance of me personally.
     My hawks' nest was also near the edge of my yard in a white pine tree,
about 60 ft. up, where a whorl of branches joined the trunk.  I often found
one of the parents by noticing a slow rain of feathers from its perch as it
plucked its prey, usually a Mourning Dove.  More than once the adult bird on
the nest flew up calling excitedly, flapping mightily as it struggled to gain
altitude as quickly as possible, in response to the passing of a Turkey
Vulture, even though the vulture was too high to likely be a threat or to be
caught up with.  I imagined that the hawk must have had a bad experience with
Turkey Vultures in the past to make it react so strongly.
     I sure do miss the days when my yard belonged to the Cooper's.
Enjoy your hawks,
Don Holt
Johnson City, TN
Bird Club, Herndon Chapter TOS, Chapter, Blue Ridge
and Cumberland Nature Club.
         jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx
           (423)764-3958