[Bristol-Birds] Cooper's Hawk

  • From: "Jack Litz" <wjlitz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 21:48:51 -0500

At 5:30 this evening I stepped out of a building at Northeast State and at my
feet was a hawk with wings partially spread trying to hug the sidewalk.  The
bird had evidently hit some glass in the building I was leaving.  I did a walk
around and could see no injuries and after a minute or two the bird flew
competently to a nearby pine tree and perched about 5 ft from the ground.  It
was a large Cooper's Hawk.  I was able to observe the bird at a distance of
about 2 feet for some five minutes - absolutely beautiful.  I teach across the
hall from Tom McNeil so I got him to come down and take a look also.  We
observed the bird several minutes within arm's reach and it seemed somewhat
addled.  When Tom moved to observe the bird from another vantage point it
evidently thought it was being surrounded and flew to a nearby shrub and then
unfortunately glanced off of another window.  A brief search did not find the
bird so it apparently was not seriously injured.
.
Jack Litz
Kingsport