[Bristol-Birds] Common Raven at Phipps Bend

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 10:36:57 -0500

Rick Phillips and all......

At the bottom of this message is an e-mail forward I sent Don Miller of the
same pair of Common Ravens you reported on Jan. 28 at Phipps Bend in Hawkins
Co., TN.  Actually, I am wondering if they are going to build a nest next month
over on the remains of one of those big concrete bunker-type buildings that
have ledges and whatever.  Of course they could also build a nest on the river
bluffs just a few hundred yards away.

Chris O'Bryan and I watched those ravens at close range on Jan. 21.   Keep an
eye on them and lets see if we can get a Hawkins County nesting record for the
species.

I noticed that Rick took a photo of the two Common Ravens on the cooling tower
base .  It was in his Field Sheet report of Jan. 28.  Rick wrote:  "I don't
recall ever seeing a raven at Phipps Bend in the thirty or so years I've been
birding there. I decided to get the scope out for a better look and maybe to
get a record shot. When I turned around from getting the scope from the car he
was gone. Without a trace. I looked around for a few minutes and finally
thought I saw a little black speck through my binoculars up on one of the old
cooling tower skeletons for the nuclear plant that never got built here. If it
was him, he was about ten times farther away than he was before. I couldn't
even see him with my naked eyes. I got the scope on him and just barely could
tell what he was with the 40 power lens I had on the it."

Be sure and read the post below I sent to Don Miller.

Let's go birding....