[Bristol-Birds] Clingmans Dome Field Trip

  • From: JPMOYLE18@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 22:24:11 EDT

This coming Saturday, July 18 the Bristol Bird Club field Trip will be to
Clingmans Dome in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.  We will assemble
as a group at the Sugarlands Visitor Center just past Gatlinburg and inside
the park.  We will follow US 441 from the visitors' center to Clingmans Dome
with stops at: Fighting Creek Nature Trail, Campbell Overlook, Cove
Hardwood Nature Trail, Chimney Tops Trail, Alum Cave Trail, Newfound Gap,
Indian
Gap, Spruce Fir Nature Trail, Collins Gap & Clingman's Dome.  Time spent in
any spot will be determined by our birding success! We will visit Pine-Oak,
Hemlock, Cove Hardwood, Northern Hardwood and Spruce Forests during our stops.
The entire journey will be over Pre-Cambrian metamorphic rock and a few
igneous intrusions.  We will also cross several fault lines!

Those of you who wish to car pool should plan to meet at White's/ IGA
(super market) in Kingsport on the John B. Dennis/Kingsport Bypass near Exit 4
off I 26. If using Exit 4 off of I 26, turn right at the light at the bottom
of the exit.  Go to top of the hill and get in left lane.  Turn left by
Burger King, Whites/IGA is the parking lot next door.  Otherwise, we will meet
you at the Sugarlands Visitor Center past Gatlinburg on US 441 just inside the
Park boundary.  You will need to bring your own food and drink.  We plan to
head home at about 4 p.m.  If you plan to attend, please contact me, John
Moyle, by email (jpmoyle18@xxxxxxx) or by phone (423-349-6440).  If I do not
answer the phone,  just leave a short message.

John Moyle              Glen Alpine Road           Kingsport/ Sullivan
County

Looking for love this summer? Find it now on AOL Personals.