[Bristol-Birds] Chat and Raspberries

  • From: "Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 11:32:09 -0400

Area Birders,
Yesterday between rains I took the opportunity to pick some raspberries from
our patch. I had just gotten started when a female Chat, that had nested
nearby, started scolding me. (The male showed up later. He was a bit
brighter in color and he sang.)
The female kept hopping from branch to branch in a tree a few feet away. She
kept giving the rough one note call that sounds almost like a Brown Thrasher
when it's disturbed. I could see her bright yellow throat expand with each
call. I kept picking, and within a minute or so she was in the patch with
me. She would call for a few moments then eat a berry. She kept getting
closer and closer. Finally she was within six feet of me sitting on the top
of a bent raspberry cane. She didn't t like it a bit that I had invaded her
patch of berries. Her white spectacles and olive green back contrasted
sharply with her yellow breast. It was funny to watch her try to eat a berry
but still give her alarm note with her mouth full. She finally realized I
wasn't leaving or I wasn't an immediate threat because she continued feeding
but without the call. Every now and then I would see her peering at me
through the leaves of the plants. After she got her fill of berries she flew
back to the overgrown field where she had nested.
Enjoy the birds,

Roger Mayhorn
Grundy, VA

Bird Club, Herndon Chapter TOS, Chapter, Blue Ridge
and Cumberland Nature Club.
         jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx
           (423)764-3958