[Bristol-Birds] Broad-winged Hawk Hawkwatch 2014

  • From: John Whinery <fall.branch.tn.bird@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2014 10:58:02 -0400

BBC Birders and Friends

We are still trying to coordinate the Mendota Fire Tower part of the Broad-winged Hawk migration this month. If you are interested and available to help please contact Lois Cox for scheduling and me for specific information. The statistical average for peak numbers is September 22nd but that varies with cold fronts and other weather every year. Help from September 15th to 30th should cover most of the migration.

The hawks average 70 miles per day so we can have a _rough estimate of the migration_ by looking upstream. Rockfish Gap <http://hawkcount.org/month_summary.php?r=on&rsite=491&go=Go+to+site> is about 3 flight days and Harvey's Knob <http://hawkcount.org/month_summary.php?r=on&rsite=482&go=Go+to+site> is 2 days.

Each day we need an 'Official Counter' who will keep hourly records of species numbers and simple weather conditions and some 'Observers' who help spot, identify and count the birds. Over 95% of the migrants are Broad-winged Hawks and they come down both sides of the ridge so extra eyes are essential. Good binoculars are a help but most often we are using our eyes only as the hawks come by a point on the tower where we "bona fide" the count.

Everyone would need to bring water, sun screen, food etc as there are no facilities on the ridge. It is a 1/4 - 1/2 mile moderately strenuous hike from the parking road to the tower. I'm out of shape and am puffing with quite a heart rate by the time I get to the top but find it well worth the effort. Some hours are slow with only a few birds and some can be amazing with several hundred to over a thousand.

If you can help in any way, especially as the 'Official Counter' please contact Lois or me as soon as possible. This migration count has been active for over half a century, the last 4 years by an incredible commitment from Tom Hunter who spent almost every day in September there counting hawks and sharing his raptor knowledge with anyone who was interested. Tom we all wish you a quick recovery from your recent health issue and look forward to many more days of your company at Mendota in the years to come.

--

John Whinery
Fall Branch, Tn