[Bristol-Birds] Black Terns--Musick's and S. Holston Lake Dam overlook

  • From: Roy & Robin Knispel <rknispel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol-birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2016 23:47:06 -0400

Charles Moore and I birded some Sullivan County water areas this afternoon, looking for Black Terns--Jim Anderson found one at Musick's this morning. Highlights:

3:45 p.m.  Musick's
Great Blue Heron               1

Rain and thunderstorm came through from the West--we went back through it down Pemberton Rd to the S. Holston Lake Dam

Rooty Branch Rd. Beaver Pond:
Wood Duck                      14
Green Heron                      1
Great Blue Heron              1
Kingfisher                          1

Overlook at S. Holston Lake Dam:
Bald Eagle 2 1 adult, 1 immature
Black Tern 20 our best viewing was to the right of the walkway to the derrick--over the overflow receptacle

Pemberton Rd.
Am. Kestrel

6:15  Back to Musick's
Great Blue Heron                 2
Black Tern 8 3 flew upriver when we arrived--8 came back downriver about 7:10 p.m.

Hwy 11E  Piney Flats
Red-tailed Hawk                  1

Roy Knispel
Johnson City