[Bristol-Birds] Birding Whitetop and Washington Co.

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 17:09:33 -0400

Area Birders,

Here is a posting from today's Virginia listserv by Sue Heath of George Mason
University.   I thought you would find it interesting.  I was in the same area
Sunday and added Hermit Thrush on the gravel road to Whitetop Mountain from Elk
Garden.  Also saw and heard a Pine Siskin on the road in the open meadows on
top.  I missed the Alder Flycatcher at the beaver pond between Whitetop
Community and Whitetop Station at the Virginia Creeper Trail.  It started
raining before I could get to Whitetop Station.  I was diappointed that the
area along the road of the wetlands has been filled with slate and someone is
evidently going to build something there.  I don't know if this is an actual
intrusion into the standing water area but it seems to be a wetland
encroachment.  The water is down a little and not up to the fill area.  The
beaver lodge is massive.  Also had a meadowlark on top of Whitetop and don't
know if I remember that species up there in the past.  Several Canada Warblers
on the way up to the Iron Mountain overlook and run-a-way ramp along Va Rt. 600
below 4,000 feet.  Heard a distant wabler buzzing near Old Rt. 600
interesection and Va Rt. 600 and got out to check for Golden-wing and Blue-wing
types.  Heard it one more time but it was breezy and could not get a
confirmation.

Let's go birding.....

-----------------------------BEGIN FORWARD----------------------

Hello everyone,

Todd Day, Ian Topolsky, and myself took off last Friday for some
southwestern Virginia birding.  None of us had ever birded the Whitetop
Mountain area and we wanted to do a bit of exploring.  We left on Friday
afternoon around 3:30 and county/city birded our way down to Marion
which is on I-81 about 40 miles north of Tennessee where we spent Friday
night.  The next morning found us heading over the ridge along Rt. 16.
We found a number of high elevation breeders there including
CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLER, SLATE-COLORED JUNCO, BLACK-THROATED BLUE WARBLER
AND BLACK-THROATED GREEN WARBLER.  Down the ridge into Grayson County we
found expected species including numerous WILLOW FLYCATCHERS, always a
treat to hear singing.  With excellent directions from Glen Eller, we
found our target species, ALDER FLYCATCHER, at Whitetop Station along
with a singing LEAST FLYCATCHER.  From there we made a brief foray into
Washington County to get a few species there and find a Chimney Swift
for my county list.  We found them in Damascas, home of the Trail Days
event for AT hikers and the bike trail down the mountain through
beautiful scenery.  Back in Grayson County, we headed up Rt. 600 to the
ridge along Whitetop Mountain.  There weren't many birds there but the
view was nice.  A singing BLUE-HEADED VIREO kept us entertained.  We
then took Rt. 58 through numerous towns including Mouth of Wilson whose
name has always intrigued me, Galax (an independent city for you city
listers) and over to I-77.  We headed north from there to Highland
County which I'll send another e-mail about.

Sue

--
Susan A. Heath
George Mason University

Secretary, Virginia Avian Records Committee
Keeper, Virginia Comp List at www.virginiabirding.org

You are subscribed to VA-BIRD. To post to this mailing list, simply send email
to va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx To unsubscribe, send email to