[Bristol-Birds] Alder Flycatchers, Savannah Sparrows (2000 ft - VA)

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 21:42:41 -0400

An ALDER FLYCATCHER with an apparent mate was discovered today (12 June) at
the Highlands Dairy Farm in Washington County, VA by Ron Harrington and
Wallace Coffey.  The birds were conspicuous as they fed about tall
vegetation of a large farm pond.  The male sang frequently.  Observation was
at close range and for extended periods.

The farm pond is on a hill at 2000 feet elevation and is quite likely the
lowest elevation record ever for the species during breeding season in the
upper Tennessee River drainage of Southwest Virginia and Northeast
Tennessee.  The pond is about 200 feet X 150 feet in size.  It is located
about one mile south of I-81, Exit 32, on the North Fork of the Holston
River.

The nearby fields were full of singing HORNED LARKS (4 easily seen at close
range) and many singing SAVANNAH SPARROWS (six seen at close range).  We did
not make a concerted effort to count these but it would be safe to suggest
that maybe a dozen or more Savannahs and perhaps more Horned Larks were
singing in the vast agriculture fields known to many area birders as "Sonny
Johnson's farm."

The birds were found as part of annual June habitat scouting efforts made by
Coffey and Harrington each summer to infrequently birded areas of our
region.  This was the fourth scouting trip for 2006.  Two more are scheduled
this week.  The effort is normally made with three days of scouting in the
earlier part of the summer season and three near mid June.

Harrington and Coffey participate in the annual Cornell University/U.S.
Forest Service sponsored Birds in Forested Landscape survey and the birders
take advantage of the same days for scouting.

Let's go birding..

: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 14:49:35 -0400

While birding at Whitetop Station (elevation 3713 ft.)on the Virginia
Creeper Trail off Highway 58 east of Grayson Highlands State Park this
morning (June 14), I found 3 different locations of Alder (fee-bee-o)
Flycatchers.  At the Whitetop Station lower, paved parking lot, walking down
the Creeper trail around the pond, I saw and heard at least 3 seperate
birds.  Leaving Whitetop Station going NE on county road 755, 1/2 mile
beyond the intersection at Whitetop Station I had at least 2 singing birds
at a beaver pond & lodge on the left.  Continuing on 755 another 1/2 mile I
had another singing bird.  Other birds in the area: Cedar Waxwing, Common
Yellowthroat, Chestnut-sided & Yellow Warblers, Scarlet Tanager, Least
(che-bek) Flycatcher and Veery.  On my drive back to Galax, I picked up the
Acadian & Willow Flycatcher, 4 of the 5 Eastern Empidonax Flycatchers in the
same morning is not all that bad.

Glen Eller
Galax, VA

the beaver

*      ponds along Rt. 755 1/2 mile NE of Whitetop Station.

*       Sat, 12 Jul 2003 20:46:58 -0400

My mom, Shirley Justus, and I saw and heard some great birds today
at Guesses Fork in Buchanan County. Species included my first ever
Alder Flycatcher (heard), as well as the following species, among
others:

Blackburnian, Cerulean, Yellow-throated, American Redstart, Black
and White, Hooded, Yellow-breasted Chat, and Black-throated Green
warblers
Scarlet Tanager
White-eyed Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo
Eastern Phoebe
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Chimney Swift
Wood Thrush
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Eastern Towhee
Wild Turkey
Red-bellied Woodpecker (juvenile)
Downy Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Turkey Vulture
Indigo Bunting

Michelle Talbott
Buchanan County Bird Club

These birds were present at the Beaver Ponds near Whitetop Gap/Creeper Trail
parking lot and the beaver pond on State Route 755.

June 12, 2004  Burke's Garden, VA--Tazewell County Bird Count
Six members of the Bibbee Nature Club (southern West VA and
and adjacent counties in VA) counted birds between thunder storms.
Actually the storms were at the beginning and end of day, between
we had fairly decent weather.  Lots of young birds seen, lots of birds
feeding young in nests, carrying food, etc.  An abundance of Red-wing-
ed Blackbirds, Meadowlarks, E. Starling, C. Grackles, Swallows (Barn,
Tree and Rough-winged), and a good number of flycatchers were noted.

For the other bird clubs who also bird the garden, the local meeting
place, the General Store has added a new side porch with tables
for outdoor snacking.  Four female/juvenile Ruby Thr. Hummers were
buzzing the feeder by the front steps.

A total of 63 species were seen including Bobolinks in 3 fields and
2 Red-headed Woodpeckers. If anyone is interested , see the list
below for the total number of species seen today.  We missed
several should-have-been seen/heard --Loggerhead Shrike, C.
Wren, Downy Woodpecker, Hairy Woodpecker, Carolina
Chickadee, Veery and Bald Eagle (yes, I've even gotten the BE
in there in the summers past).
Ann McRae
annmcrae@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Bluefield, WV- Mercer County