[Bristol-Birds] About testing by Rack Cross

  • From: Wallace Coffey <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 1-A Bristol-Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 18:22:16 -0400

Area Birders:

The testing you have seen on Bristol Birds Net by
Rack Cross resulted in our first successful transmission
of a bird report from a cellular telephone.  To my
knowledge,  I have not seen anyone post to any list
with a cell phone.

Rack sent the goldeneye message by keying the
report into his cell phone and sending it to the
e-mail address of Bristol Birds Net which he has
stored in his cell phone.

This is one more example of how technology is
being used in the advancement of birding.

This is the next wave of future reporting of rare birds
directly from the observation location.  It does not
seem to be too useful now but neither did our
earlier attempts at having a birding network which
we established in 1995.   We didn't have to wait
seven years on it to become useful.  The first
digital photos ever sent over a network to birders was
a small group of White-fronted Geese seen at
Middlebrook Lake in Bristol some years ago.  It
was taken by Ron Carrico and sent to many
birders across Tennessee and Virginia.

E-mail birding nets have become common place,
digital delivery of bird photos are common and
the transmission of field reports by cell phone
and other technology will soon become the standard
mode of operation.

Thanks to Rack Cross for posting the first ever
bird report  from a cell phone.  Technology moves
on and birding will benefit.

Bird Club, Herndon Chapter TOS, Chapter, Blue Ridge
and Cumberland Nature Club.
         jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx
           (423)764-3958