[Brickhurst Email List] Science Day press release

  • From: "Patrick Nicholson" <patrick_nicholson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <brickhurst@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 23:45:12 -0000

Below is a copy of the press release we are using to promote the science day
event. This has been emailed and/or faxed to papers and local radio in
Tunbridge Wells and Hastings areas. Kim has phoned around the Tunbridge
Wells media too.

Patrick

*********************************
Press Release
For immediate release

Date: 11 March 2002

From:  Dr Patrick Nicholson
SEASoN (South East Alternative Science Network)
 tel. 01424 719570 / fax 01424 428792 / patrick_nicholson@xxxxxxxxxxx

Science in the Woods this Saturday

The South East Alternative Science Network (SEASON) will be staging their
first public event, 'Brickhurst Science FunDay', this Saturday 16th March at
Brickhurst Farm in Pembury, Tunbridge Wells. The event is a science and
environment activity day aimed mainly at children, and is part of National
Science Week. The FunDay will take place at Brickhurst Farm, a wildlife
conservation area which promotes permaculture and sustainability. The farm
was legally awarded to the Brickhurst Trust 18 months ago. SEASoN have
chosen Brickhurst Farm as the venue for the FunDay because they strongly
support the aims of the Brickhurst Trust, and feel it to be a very
appropriate site for events centred on environmental responsiblity and
sustainability.

SEASoN formed in November 2001 after a number of Home Educating parents
visited a science event in Canterbury and came away feeling that the
portrayal of science at that event was very negative.  They felt that
Science should be promoted both ethically and educationally with a
consideration towards the environmental and global problems that are a
reality today.

Kim Dale from Wealden Home Education Network says "Science governs all of
our lives, what we eat, the medicine we take, the homes we live in, the
water we drink, how we are encouraged to rear our children, our jobs and of
course the environments we live in and the disappearance of wildlife.
Parents have huge responsibilities today and are aware of the damage to our
children's health and quality of lives and many feel frustrated on how to
change things so that we do not pass on to our children a world that is full
of problems created by today's practices".

Dr Patrick Nicholson, a Hastings-based physicist and member of Scientists
for Global Responsibility said "I think it is important to stress that
science is something that we can all do, and is not just limited to the
confines of laboratories and institutions. Science is about the process of
looking at the world and asking questions. It's about taking responsibility
for what one does with knowledge, and about recognising the validity of
different ways of understanding."

SEASoN aims to bring science out of the laboratory and into the woodlands
for this event. The emphasis will be on involvement and participation, on
fostering the spirit of enquiry coupled with a sense of responsibility for
the impact of our knowledge and actions. There will be workshops and
activities on renewable energy (solar, wind, human); textile dyeing with
natural dyes: woodcrafts and the science of wood; water and herbalism;
nature walks: bats, insects and plants; the science of composting and much
more.  In order to maximise the accessibility of the event, SEASoN is asking
for a suggested donation of just £2.00 per person to cover costs.

Scientists for Global Responsibility and Kent High Weald Project (local
conservation team) have also put in a great deal of time, energy and
expertise towards making this event a success.  The event is appropriately
not-for-profit, with any proceeds going to the Brickhurst Trust in order
that they may be able to continue to achieve their aims and enhance the
natural environment at Brickhurst Farm.

SEASoN will continue to meet and organise various activities and events and
anyone wishing to join with them, adults and children, would be very
welcomed.

For further information about SEASoN visit their website:
<www.geocities.com/seasonscience>
or telephone Dr. Patrick Nicholson on  01424 719570

Places at the 'Brickhurst Science FunDay' should be prebooked by telephoning
on 01892 863941. Further information on home education is also available at
this number.

___________________________

Delivered by The Brickhurst Trust Email List
Thanks for your support, Keep in touch!

THE BRICKHURST TRUST
_____________________________

Tel:   07020 966 702
Fax:   07020 966 704
Pager: 07069 901 488 (24hrs if urgent)
Email: info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web:   www.brickhurst.org.uk
Text:  +278 3142 1287 8417 (from a mobile)
Email List: brickhurst@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (to send messages to entire list)

Company Secretary: Störm Poorun

Registered office:
Brickhurst Farm, Hastings Road, off A21,
Pembury, Tunbridge Wells, Kent TN2 4BL

Not-for-Profit Trust & Company Ltd by Guarantee, Registration No: 4026999

Promoting Permaculture, Wildlife, & Sustainable Development in the Kent High
Weald.