[BNU] A two-part Bookshare question

  • From: Andy Shields <AShields@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "braillenote@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <braillenote@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2014 19:22:19 +0000

Hi, listers,

I have a specific problem with a Bookshare file, and am wondering if anyone
else on the list who uses an Apex to download and read has run into the same
thing. I have tried repeatedly to access The World Almanac and Book of Facts
2013: first as a .brf format, which is my usual choice, and it won't even go to
the usual "download book to which folder?" prompt. Knowing that it's a very
large reference book, I chose to download it instead as "DAISY text only." This
worked and I was able to unzip it into its own folder, where I confirmed that
there were a large number of large files, as you'd expect. When I try to read
it, all I get is the title of the book, and it then goes immediately to "end of
book" as though there's no text or none that can be read. I did try to vary the
"levels" of accessibility, but didn't work with headings or anything, just
tried to do a straight read and got nothing. (When you access book information,
you do get the number of pages and headings, but still, no content.) This has
happened to me with other large DAISY books from other sources. I also have a
consistent problem with all DAISY text books on the Apex: the larger they are,
the more slowly the display advances as you get toward the end, and the more
likely they are to freeze up or become almost impossible to navigate because of
this slowness. So I have a couple of questions. Is there something in the size
of this almanac that prevents it from actually being available as a .brf file?
If not, how do I get it to download normally? If I must read it as a DAISY
book, what can I do to make it readable and, in general, to make all books of
this type more accessible on the Apex at a normal reading speed? I submitted
this question to the Bookshare team and they agreed that it is logical to ask
other BrailleNote users, so that's what I'm doing. I have no other problems in
any way with accessing Bookshare books in the .brf format, so this does seem to
be an issue that's unique to this type or size of book. Thanks to you all for
whatever help you can give me.

Andy