[brailleblaster] Re: itex2MML

  • From: "John J. Boyer" <john.boyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2010 22:57:19 -0600

Laura,

I just downloaded the current version of itex2MML. You shouldn't have to
worry about licensing.

Java can send files to a pipe. If itex2MML is a true filter it should be
able to accept its input from a pipe and deliver its output to a pipe.
If I understand things correctly, both pipes could be a Java ByteStream.
So your Java code might set up the pipes and then call itex2MML. I think
ODT2braille may do something similar with xml2brl. I think Bert Frees is
on this list. Maybe he will give us some answers.

We mmay encounter similar cases in the future, where programs with
desired capoabilities are command-line filters. You might consider
writing generalized Java code for handling them. It could be very
useful. It would go into a new package org.brailleblaster.util

John