[brailleblaster] Re: The GUI Prototype

  • From: Chris von See <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 08:40:24 -0800

You would presumably need to link menu actions in SWT to actions in the browser via JavaScript using the Browser.execute() method. I have not tried this myself, but based on the documentation it seems that it should work.

Another "For What It's Worth": here's a list of rich text editors for use in HTML (I don't know if any of these are suitable most/all are Javascript-based):

http://blog.webdistortion.com/2008/03/09/9-of-the-best-rich-text-editors-reviewed/

I'm wondering if one of these can be used for the actual editing, allowing the text to be extracted and translated when ready...

Cheers
Chris

On Feb 7, 2011, at 8:21 AM, John J. Boyer wrote:

Making a GUI pr9ototype sounds like an excellent idea. It can be
standalon, relying only on SWT and whatever else is required, such as
Jetty. It will not do translation. Thus there will be no need for the
native libraries to test it. It will not do input or output, just allow the user to enter and edit text. It must have both the Braille and Daisy views, so the ability to move them around and resize them can be tested.

The menu structure will be done in SWT from the first. We can then see
if the combination of the SWT browser control and Jetty will give us
what we need, and we can also do some work on presenting the content
using basic SWT.

One question that I have is if we present the content in html how will
the menu items be linked to the content, for example to change the type
font?

I think that the GUI prototype should be the next milestone in
BrailleBlaster development, now that the emboss milestone has veen
achieved, more or less.