[brailleblaster] Re: Screen readers broken with latest build

  • From: Michael Whapples <mwhapples@xxxxxxx>
  • To: brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 18:33:46 +0100

I know that SWT has an accessibility API which you can use for your own widgets, and there are SWT snippets showing how to handle assistive technology querying a text type control.

http://git.eclipse.org/c/platform/eclipse.platform.swt.git/tree/examples/org.eclipse.swt.snippets/src/org/eclipse/swt/snippets/Snippet334.java

While I agree that StyledText should be accessible by default and so probably something for the Eclipse developers to solve, there might be a point when BrailleBlaster is doing sufficient custom stuff in the edit areas that additional accessibility information needs to be given.

I can have a look at what NVDA is recieving in its log, but I probably cannot deal with it until the weekend.

Michael Whapples
On 16/05/2013 17:37, Keith Creasy wrote:

Vic.

Since WE works I'm guessing that they have just done something to support SWT's methods that the others haven't. I feel certain we can do something to fix it. Actually if we can just get WE, and NVDA to work on Windows I'll be pretty satisfied. Then we can complain to FS that both those screen readers work and maybe they'll fix it too.

If we have someone on here who is involved with NVDA they could probably catch the output from the read-line method and see what actually is coming from the widget.

I'm not sure what the styled text view does internally. There is a Unicode value for a soft return but it's not that easy to figure out if it is used.

Keith Creasy

Software Developer

American Printing House for the Blind

KCreasy@xxxxxxx