[brailleblaster] Re: More on Embosser Drivers

  • From: Alex Jurgensen <asquared21@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2010 12:28:46 -0700

Hi,

Firstly, there is a plugin framework for Java. I'll look up the name of it, but
I am heading out the dorr right now, so that will have to wait until I return.

On the matter of standard API's for embossers, I use mine under the Common Unix
Prinint System, A.K.A.. CUPS. I believe that there will be more drivers writen
by ONCE for CUPS. I'll look up the link.

Regards,
Alex,

On 2010-11-06, at 11:25 AM, Michael Whapples wrote:

> Dealing with the idea of including C/C++ code in a jar file with java
> bindings, yes this can be done (examples both being SWT and JNA). Now to
> would this protect those who want to keep things secret? The jar file itself
> is simply an archive file and is easily extracted. Now if a user were to do
> this they would find some java class files (these would be the compiled class
> files not the source) and a DLL or other shared library file (like for any
> other compiled C/C++ library). So I believe the C/C++ part would be as
> protected as they may be now without any java bindings. While the C/C++ code
> may be as secure, a standard java class file I believe can be decompiled, but
> this probably wouldn't reveal anything top secret as it could simply use
> their published C/C++ API and so would be just a mapping between two knowns.
>
> One thing this does raise in my mind, if drivers are to be done as described
> by John, BrailleBlaster would need some way to dynamically detect drivers
> which are installed (may be some sort of plugin system where the user simply
> has to drop a jar file in a certain directory then next time they start
> BrailleBlaster that new embosser will be shown). There may be some frameworks
> already out there to support such a plugin system.
>
> Now I do have a slight question, may be the answer is obvious to those more
> involved in Braille production, why don't embossers use a standard API, may
> be even the printer API like the tiger printer does?
>
> Michael Whapples
> On 6 Nov 2010, at 11:26, John J. Boyer wrote:
>
>> I think the driver interface and the classes which implement it should
>> be in a package called org.brailleblaster.drivers The interface would be
>> called driver.java Each class implementing it would be named for the
>> embosser which it suppoorts, for example, Tiger.java Indexd.java
>> Everest.java
>>
>> As I mentioned previously, the drivers should be written in Java or
>> converted from other languages to avoid messing around with bindings. A
>> manufacturer might chose to protect propritary information by supplying
>> a driver compiled into a C or C++ library. In this case it woulod be
>> desirable for the manufacturer to also supply the Java bindings and to
>> incorporate the JNI portion of the bindings into the library containing
>> the driver.
>>
>> Is it possible to put Java code containing proprietary information into
>> a jar file which can be used by the Java compiler and the JRE but which
>> the user cannot see inside? That would make it much easier to get Java
>> drivers from manufacurers.
>>
>> John
>>
>> --
>> John J. Boyer; President, Chief Software Developer
>> Abilitiessoft, Inc.
>> http://www.abilitiessoft.com
>> Madison, Wisconsin USA
>> Developing software for people with disabilities

Alex Jurgensen,
VoiceOver Trainer,
ASquared21@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Visit us on the web at: www.vipbc.org