[brailleblaster] Re: Fonts in BrailleBlaster

  • From: Michael Whapples <mwhapples@xxxxxxx>
  • To: brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 19:56:53 +0100

Hello,
If the Braille is the unicode Braille characters, then the Dejavu font (http://dejavu.sf.net) has the Braille characters. Interestingly, some screen readers (I think Orca, possibly others using brltty) handle showing unicode Braille characters correctly on a Braille display.

I do not know how the Braille characters of Dejavu look.

Michael Whapples
On 22/10/2012 19:47, John J. Boyer wrote:
I think that BrailleBlaster should use a typewriter-like font, with
bold, italic and underline variants. Is such a font easy to read for
people with low vision? We can then specify indentation in terms of
spaces. The font will be used in both the print and Braille windows. It
will give a better feel of what Braille looks like than a
proportionally-spaced font.

We need a font for Unicode Braille that shows the dot patterns. I don't
think this would be readable with a screenreader, but it would be nice
for transcribers. The user can always chose to use the character mapping
for whatever Braille table is in use to get something that a
screenreader can make sense of.