[brailleblaster] Re: Contents of the Maven tree

  • From: Michael Whapples <mwhapples@xxxxxxx>
  • To: brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 15:53:21 +0000

Hello,
SWT is not in a maven repository (or at least not a recent version), liblouis and liblouisutdml are not in maven repositories either. I haven't looked at itex2mml or hunspell, but I think probably not.

As for where the editor may be used as a component, I seem to have a memory that it was suggested it may be used as part of a daisy reader although no solid plans have been made for that and it may not even happen. May be more to the point this raises the issue, should we have a glossary of terms, we sling the word editor about here quite loosely, what do we precisely mean by "editor"? Is the editor the GUI component which shows the document and allows the user to modify the document, is it the underlying component handling the document and altering it according to the requests from the user interface component or is it a combination of the two parts? I have to say there are times when I am not sure what is being meant by the word "editor" in some of these discussions.

Michael Whapples
On 23/11/10 10:12, John J. Boyer wrote:
A couple of commennts. What BrailleBlaster dependencies might not be in
Maven repositories? There have been some comments about developing other
projects from BrailleBlaster, but I donn't remember any about using the
editor alone as a component. It doesn't seem too practical to me.

John

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 09:27:26AM +0000, Michael Whapples wrote:
Not needing sub-projects, there's an assumption. I hope I am not
stepping beyond what has been said publically, but I know that there has
been mention of hopes that may be the editor component could be used in
other tools. If the editor component were to be used exactly as is, then
the nicest way to use it seems to be make it a sub-project and then
multiple projects could make use of that. If the editor were simply part
of the larger "BrailleBlaster" project then I think the only way the
code is moved across would be to copy it, which then leads to the
maintenance problem of merging fixes from the two projects (IE. the
fixes don't go to a single central component).

As the question has been raised regarding ant, I also guess that ant
would allow partial building (eg. bilding of just the editor component)
and so would let there be seen to be one central source location for
that component.

Michael Whapples
On 23/11/10 02:30, John J. Boyer wrote:
let's see if i understand what should be in the BrailleBlaster Maven
tree. We don't need subprojects, so if I have a directory called
brailleblaster it should contain the following:

File: LICENSE.txt
File: NOTICE.txt
File README.txt
file: pom.xml
directory: src

Under the src directory the directories main site test under main the
directory java, etc.