[bookshare-discuss] scanning help

  • From: "traci" <season@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 05:41:09 -0700

hello everyone.
i am at a loss and ready to quit. it's bad enough that books I submit sit there
for months ready to be proofed but then to try so hard to scan them and get
garbage??? I have the resolution up to 400 dpi, using omni font page since fine
reader didn't work. i have the contrast set to black on white and have ocr
corrections enabled. my scanner is an all in one, a lexmark pro 205 series and
I'm using open book 8. What am I doing wrong? the f word in the books read as
flick and i have the ocr correction going yet it always scans as that. had
usually scans as ha: (ha followed by a colon). and this is what i hate most.
when scanning a book and it's toward the middle of it, i get partial pages no
matter how i try and flatten the pages into a smooth roll. this scanner is a
flat bed so I can only load from the left side as the fax machine is directly
below the bed and the copier is the actual scanner's top.
Another thing I get a lot of is the first word in a line might scan as 1111 or
4111 followed by thirteen to fourteen spaces and then the actual begining of
the sentence. Then right smack dab in the mddle of the sentence, you'll get a
word like ire followed by thirteen spaces and then a real word. for example:
I glanced up at her in utter disbelief  t :ire:..              and shook my
head disgustedly.
No this crazy woman wasn't going to disrespect me in my own house after
everything we hav:  been through.
1111             But she was and .:\tdd             all I could feel was
contempt.
If there is no hope for this, please advise me what to look for in a good
scanner--dpi, page recognition, scanner brand, flatbed vs hand scanner. Please
help. I would like to share books but at this rate I may just end up reading
and proofing. This book "Chances" is over 500 pages long and it's a huge
undertaking that I wouldn't mind if the scanner would only stop puking all over
the pages.
Thanks