[bookshare-discuss] Re: scanner

  • From: "Judy s." <mjstouff@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 14:05:33 -0500 (EST)

Thanks, Peter!  Budgetwise, I guess I hadn't decided yet - it depends on
the capabilities of the scanner.  I was thinking in the $200-$300 range
originially, but I don't think there is anything that can scan duplex
under $600.  So I guess maybe I'm looking at two categories - what can I
get for under $300 with an autofeed, and what can I get for under maybe
$800 with duplex ability.

The Fujitsu looks great, but I think it only works in the windows
environment from what I read after reading your email.  Hmmm.  I hadn't
realized that the mac world seems to have a real limited number of
scanners available to it.

On the Fujitsu, I read that it produces a PDF file automatically.  Can you
tell me what type of PDF?  Is it a PDF image file, or does it immediately
try to turn it into an editable text and images PDF?

 Has anyone used the mac version of FineReader?  It looks like its last
update was in 2003, so it's a couple of years behind the windows version.
Or has anyone used the mac version of OmniPage?

Thanks for the idea about getting a book rebound by Kinkos.  I'll check
into that!

Judy
mjstouff@xxxxxxxxxx