[bookshare-discuss] Re: purpose of bookshare list and also book discussions

  • From: "Elfqueen" <elfqueen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 18:27:06 -0400

This is a good idea. And for the sake of evening out the scales, if you get my drift, this could apply to other topics as well. (I'm a talker, you all know that by now, but let us keep the peace or crash and burn, in the case of this list, literally.) If one topic seems to be getting out of hand on the list, those of us who are interested in pursuing it further can set up an e-mail chat, or even go into the chat rooms. For those who don't have microphones, there is text chat. But one way or another, this debating and arguing needs to stop soon because sooner or later someone is going to get really, really mad and not have enough self-control to either reply civilly or just delete the offending message. I do think it's a little ridiculous to insist that no discussions can be had on this list outside of books or bookshare, though I do see the point of those who are saying it's gotten out of hand. It sort of has; my inbox is a wreck and I'm going to have to clean out again, or I should say overhaul. Just on a personal note, this is the first group mailing list I've ever been a member of, and I've found it a much friendlier place since people started to talk a little bit more. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Grandma Cindy" <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>

From: Bob <rwiley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookshare-discuss] Re: ot blind man looking for sighted woman (was Re: discussion
To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Monday, June 23, 2008, 1:38 AM
Yes, it may dry up for now, but if no de facto policy is
agreed on it will
raise its nasty head again. I remember several months ago
there was a whole
host of messages about dogs that seemed to last forever.

Are we always going to be inundated with messages that the
authors know when
they post them are smothering all other discussion for a
while. Sure it will
die down for a short while, then, like the bubonic plague,
it will re-emerge
to spam our inboxes mercilessly once more.

Face it: it isn't fair, it isn't polite, and it
accomplishes nothing. Most
of the posters are the same posters posting over and over
and over (some are
even answering their own emails, not waiting or caring
whether or not others
have an opinion on the subject. That's not a
discussion, that's a rant:
providing the posters a soap box to promote their own
beliefs.

In short, it's a small group of people spamming the
system and driving
legitimate book discussion lovers away.

I haven't, and won't, named names, but any perusal
of the offending topics
will show it's the same people over and over and over
again and again. You
know who you are, and you should be ashamed.

Bob
----- Original Message ----- From: "A. J. Nolte" <a.j.nolte@xxxxxxxxx>