[bookshare-discuss] Re: missing synopsis on many books

  • From: Tony Baechler <bookshare@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 01:51:39 -0800

Hello there. You're of course entitled to your own opinion and that's fine, but please let me correct a misimpression. I'm not currently selling vintage radio shows, DVD, mp3, CD or otherwise. When I start selling them, they certainly won't be in mp3. I have no like for the mp3 format. I might sell them on DVD, that is as yet undecided. To answer your questions, I don't currently hold a position on the staff except as a volunteer validator as time and interest permit. I don't understand the reason for the second question so I'll leave it alone. As you said, you don't know me so I'm not sure why you seem so upset. The fact of the matter is that with community projects like bookshare, Project Gutenberg, open source software, wikis, and pretty much everything else nowadays online, they are volunteer-based. If you want something done, you have to get in there and push. Complaints on the various lists get you nowhere. I'm sorry if I offended you, but that's the way it stands. Look at any number of sites if you don't believe me. There is nothing that I or any other volunteer can do, for example, if a book is missing a synopsis except get out there and invent something. As much as I personally don't agree with Jake's methods of site design, I have to give him the credit for getting out there and trying. I haven't looked at his site so I don't know how useful it is, but apparently people have found it helpful. He saw a need and fixed it, just as I did with vintage radio books, etc. There is really nothing to be offended about. Look at any Linux distribution to see what I mean about volunteer-based projects. I'm guessing that the reason why this apparently bothers you so much is that you aren't acquainted with free software. That's unfortunate but I understand. I can wait until you're more familiar with it. Where or how you came up with the idea that I'm selling vintage radio in mp3 I have no idea but you're welcome to look at http://goldenradio.net/.

At 07:31 AM 2/7/2006, you wrote:

Tony,

I don't know you, and I don't think I want too.  What you got going, besides
trying to pedal old time radio shows on mp3 dvds and selling them for
exorbitant prices?

From your diatribe I just read on missing synopses, I have 2 questions.
What position do you hold on the Bookshare staff?  and, How's the weather up
there on mount Sinai?