[bookshare-discuss] giggling about "hold for"

  • From: "E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 05:09:23 -0400

I have come into the bookshare chat room a couple of times to hear giggling and conversations about how much fun it would be to grab a "hold for" book which has somebody's name on it. These conversations stop abruptly when I enter the room.

Please let me state some reasons "hold for " exists.

one. "hold for" may be put on a book which a student needs. If you grab it you take it away from somebody who is using it to study and just has not gotten to it yet.

two. the book is missing a couple of pages. the print copy may not be available for some time to complete the book the validator releases the book to step one so that he or she can validate another book while waiting.

three. the book is so complex that somebody is working on charts and wants to continue some kind of other validating while doing so. My examples of I Ching books are extreme examples of this issue.

four. somebody has a particular skill and wants to validate a book. The skill might be in Latin as is true of the books being held for Pratik. The skill may be medical terminology or a foreign language. In any case, there is a reason the submitter asks that a certain validator take the book.

five. a validator may have asked the submitter to put hold for on a possible validation.

Staff and all of us have asked several times that "hold for" be honored. I again ask that it be honored.

Hope this clarifies the reasons for "hold for" somewhat.