[bookshare-discuss] drama from a blind perspective

  • From: "Bob" <rwiley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 06:16:58 -0600

Recently bookshare has started producing dramatic pieces for their collection,
which got me thinking about drama from a blind person's perspective.

I must admit that my exposure to drama has been limited and not necessarily
productive. As a junior high and high school student I was exposed to the usual
slate of plays (i.e. Shakespeare's Macbeth and Julius Caesar, Oscar Wilde's
"the importance of being Earnest" (why any self-respecting teacher would impose
that drabble on their students is beyond me), and "she stoops to conquer" (was
that Malory?). But, I wasn't impressed.

During my senior year, however, we had to read "Othello" which I thought was
interesting. However, following our close examination of this play(sometimes it
seemed ad nausea), our instructor took us to see it performed by the University
of Texas drama department. The instructor was able to get us front row seats
because no one else wanted to crane their neck to see the stage, but from my
perspective I loved it because I could tell where each player was on the stage.
However, I had just settled down, perhaps to sleep <smile> when two characters
in the play got into a sword fight right in front of me, and one of them died
two feet away from me. I unconsciously reacted by throwing up my arms to help
the poor fellow, and, I heard the dead actor quietly snicker at my reaction.
So, I knew then, I could be moved by a dramatic performance.

A couple of days ago I downloaded "three plays" by Thornton Wilder. The plays
in this collection are: "OUR TOWN", "THE SKIN OF OUR TEETH" and "THE
MATCHMAKER". I was particularly interested in reading "our town" ever since I
had heard a radio dramatization of it by Orson Wells a few years ago. However,
I wasn't prepared for the richness of theatrical descriptions this play
provided. While reading the play, I could place each character on the stage,
imagine the various settings in the play (main street, a house, a graveyard
etc.). In other words, this play came to life for me. For example, the play
begins,
"ACT I

No curtain.

No scenery.

The audience, arriving, sees an empty stage in half-light.

Presently the stage manager, hat on and pipe in mouth,

enters and begins placing a table and three chairs downstage

left, and a table and three chairs downstage right. He also

places a low bench at the corner of what will be the Webb

house, left.

"Left" and "right" are from the point of view of the actor

facing the audience. "Up" is toward the back wall.

As the house lights go down he has finished setting the stage

and leaning against the right proscenium pillar watches the

late arrivals in the audience.

When the auditorium is in complete darkness he speaks:".  This is much better
than Mr. Shakespeare's "exeunt stage right".

So, I guess I'm saying thanks to Bookshare for providing this wonderful
experience, and I invite any of you who think they hate dramatic performances
to try once more with Mr. Wilder's "three plays".

Thanks,
Bob

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful,
committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is
the only thing that ever has."--Margaret Mead