[bookshare-discuss] Re: bookport?

  • From: "Tiffany H. Jessen" <tjessen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 09:30:58 -0500

I really like my book port.
It's about the size of a walkman, but maybe a tad thinner. There are no
buttons along the four edges the way a walkman does, but there are two
ports - one for headphones and one for the USB cable. On the top surface
area is 18 buttons arranged in three columns and six rows. The buttons are
round, about the size of a dime or slightly smaller, and have a nice smooshy
rubbery feel to them. They are also well spaced apart so you don't push the
wrong buttons by accident.
With the current firmware you can turn the unit sideways so that the buttons
are arranged in six columns and three rows, and then go into the find mode
and type braille for the word or words you are looking for.  In the most
current beta firmware version this braille feature has been expanded so you
can actually write much longer notes and navigate through them. It will
probably be out of beta within the month, and be a full update. Both the
betas and updates are free, and download as easily as attaching the book
port to the USB cable, where then the transfer program automatically opens
up, and if there is an update available it asks you you want to install it,
so you click yes, wait a couple of seconds, and when prompted just unplug
the unit.
Any specific questions just ask.
Tiff