[bookshare-discuss] Re: about the optacan

  • From: Melissa Williamson <williamson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 21:34:15 -0600

Actually, pictures are doable with the optacon.  (Not photographs, of course.)
You use the camera to trace around the outline of whatever is drawn.
Obviously, you can't tell color.  However, I very effectively used mine to look
at drawings.
As to two dementionality, the sighted see in three demensions just as we feel
in three.  Therefore, they must mentally adapt to 2 demensional representations
just as we who cannot see must.  The difference is that the sighted are
bombarded with 2 demensional representations from infancy.  The blind have to
learn to make use of 2 demensional representations with far less exposure to
them.  This skill is very important for children and teens these days as almost
all standardized tests make use of drawings and diagrams.