[bookshare-discuss] Re: a fun topic, summer chunksters

  • From: "Rose Combs" <rosecombs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 18:50:26 -0700

We read Lord Of The flies in high school.  I don't know exactly why we did,
but it went on in sophomore English classes for years.  I suppose it was to
help us see how depraved humans can become.

We also read The Bridge Of San Luis Ray by Thornton Wilder and discussed
fate.  Then there were some of Shakespeare plays and Chaucer.

I read a lot of Charles Dickens on my own too.

One book I can still remember vividly from my high school days circa 1970 is
A Tree Grows In Brooklyn.  I don't know why but occasionally I think of
Francine and how sad it was that she had to forget going to college so her
brother could go, and the poverty of the family, I don't know, it may be
that at the time I read the book I was on Christmas vacation and my
stepfather was tying on a pretty heavy drunk but scenes from that book
occasionally haunt me.

The Thornbirds the book was great for the movie sort of left me depressed
for a few days and I could not pinpoint why.

Rose Combs
rosecombs@xxxxxxxxx