[bookshare-discuss] Re: Wiki?

  • From: Tony Baechler <bookshare@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 00:16:48 -0800

Hello. Oh yes, Jake has his own series site. However, from my understanding, you must have a valid login to access it, or at least that's what he mentioned to me in email at one point. This would require no such login and anyone can feel free to add or change anything. If one wanted to add a category for vintage radio books, Jake has to actually create it. This way, people just write "VintageRadioBooks" somewhere on the navigation page (the top list of links you get when you look at the site) and there you go, it's done. I don't have to do anything and no one needs to login to add missing books. In addition, recently Mr. Troup posted that Have Gun, Will Travel was corrupted. All someone would have to do is put that on the page right below the book title. One's imagination is the only limit here. If things get really out of hand, changes can always be rolled back. The only thing necessary to edit pages is any web browser. I've had great luck with Window-Eyes and Internet Explorer, but Lynx would also work. I don't use other screen readers. The only limit to anyone changing anything is that you'll have to have a password to edit the pages. The reason is just to prevent robots from filling it up with junk and useless ads. The password would be posted on the site so you wouldn't have to look for it. It would be something simple like an author's name or something, just to keep robots out.

The next step is to determine how much interest there is. I think it could be incredibly useful for all manner of things. If people want to write a page on how they read books with a computer or some such, that's easily done. Want to start a community book club? No problem. I'm not going to set it up unless I get enough interest. I would need someone to act as moderator if things get way out of hand or far off topic, and I would need to know that at least a reasonable number of people would actually use it. Other than that, I could set it up this weekend if there is demand. I suppose I could always take it away if people aren't interested. It has great potential for the volunteer list also. Have a great scanning tip? Make a page called ScanningTips and post! Honestly, who really look through the old list archives to find the little gems that people have posted? I would guess not many. Being on the web, this is more permanent and easily searchable. I forgot to mention that it comes with a search engine. Eventually it would show up on google and that ultimately brings more people to bookshare. Any thoughts or questions? Feel free to write me off or on list. This is not off topic so I'm removing that from the subject.

At 01:23 AM 2/10/2006, you wrote:

That sounds very interesting, and as if it would be
something for us here at bookshare, to, as you
suggest, add lists of series, though I think Jake has
one, or synopses that people could go to if they want
to add one, or whatever. I'm glad you used wikipedia
as an example, because I do know what that is.