[bookshare-discuss] Re: Volunteer questions

  • From: "Mary Otten" <maryotten@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 11:38:58 -0500

Hi Suzanne,
You should get something in the email from Jesse, who is the volunteer
co-ordinator, explaining about the validation process. I think they have to do
something on their end so that when you log into bookshare, you
are logged into the volunteer home page, which is where you will find a lik
that says step 1 download. Clicking on that link takes you to a page where you
will find a listing of all the books that are in the pool awaiting
validation by a volunteer. You may select any of those books that you want.
They are not assigned by anybody. Books come in various formats, including doc
(microsoft word) txt (asii text) arc (proprietary arkenstone
format) kes (proprietary Kurzweil format) and rtf. If you don't own an
Arkenstone now FS product such as OPenbook, then you can't do the arc format
books, and the same goes for Kes if you don't own a Kurzweil
1000 or 3000. But there are lots of rtf txt and doc files to pick from. If you
don't hear something soon, you might want to drop another note to Jesse, or
maybe he'll see your note on here and get back to you off list. We
certainly need more validators, so your volunteer efforts will be much
appreciated.
mary