[bookshare-discuss] Validating books

  • From: James Nuttall <jnuttallphd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 07:11:25 -0700 (PDT)

What exactly is the purpose of validating books?  Some have written on the
forum that they would like those who scan a book to proofread the book.  I can
understand especially for Braille users the need for accuracy.
However my question is, "if the person doing scanning also does the
proofreading why can't we skip the validation step?"

Jim -- Michigan

talmage@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi Paul,

I couldn't really say when 2 page mode became a standard feature in
Openbook or Kurzweil, as I took a hiatus from Openbook between versions 2
and 6. I must admit that I've never used anymore than a demo of the
Kurzweil software line, but I started out with the Openbook products back
when they were Arkanstone Reader and had the full sized ISA card. Back
then it was great, Arkanstone would send updates to the software end of the
system at frequent intervals, and at no charge. When they moved over to
the software only system with Openbook, I only went as far as V2 (not sure
which minor version was my last), and then got tired of shelling out what I
consider significant amounts of cash for updates. When I wanted improved
OCR after that, I went to the online auctions and picked up inexpensive
copies of Textbridge and Omnipage. One of the problems with the version of
Textbridge 98 was it didn't have a 2 page mode only a multiple column mode,
which resulted in scans like those that started this thread. The scans
could be of high quality, you just had to put up with 1 long page rather
than 2. A year or so ago, I finally moved back to Openbook
V6. Unfortunately, with V7, there were no new features that I could see
that would justify my upgrading, so probably when they improve it enough
with V8 or 9 it will be a costly upgrade again.

Dave