[bookshare-discuss] To Marcus About Scanners

  • From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 00:16:17 -0400

Hi, Marcus. Welcome to the list. I somehow missed seeing your message from yesterday. I'm glad you've joined us. (smile) You asked about scanners that work well with Openbook. I have used the Canon LIde line of scanners with Openbook and have been very happy with the results. The Canon LIde 60, 70, and beyond can scan a page in around 9 seconds with another 15 seconds for the light bar to return to the scanning position. The older models like the LIde 30 that I used for five years would scan a page in around 22 seconds and took about that long for the light bar to return to the scanning position. As you can see, the later models really do speed things up. A Canon LIde 70 costs around $79 on Amazon or at places like Staples or Office Depot. I am now using a OneTouch Visioneer scanner and like its output as well. I didn't plan to switch brands, and I was surprised with my current scanner as a gift when my Canon died of old age. While I wouldn't have thought to try the Visioneer brand, I'm very happy with it. In case it is useful information to you, both the Canon LIde scanners and the OneTouch Visioneer are thin and light enough to fit easily in a laptop bag. It makes scanning from a library or friend's house really easy. You can just hook it into your laptop and you're good to go. (smile)

Monica Willyard

Marcus Williams wrote:
Hello fellow Bookshare members,
I have been a member of Bookshare for almost a year now. The wealth of reading material available is truly amazing! I wish to start helping the collection grow in the near future. The problem is that I could use some advice on which type of scanner would be best to use with Openbook. Any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Marcus Williams