[bookshare-discuss] Re: The Hymnal project

  • From: Tony Baechler <bookshare@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 02:07:40 -0800

Hi,

This sounds great but I'm not sure about the legal issue. I think lyrics and sheet music might be off limits, but then NLS has quite a bit of sheet music via Web-Braille so maybe it's OK. I would be willing to buy one or two hymnals used from abebooks.com if I'm given a list of titles. I don't know when I'll have money though, it might be this summer or who knows when. In the meantime, what about NLS? Surely they have something? This type of project is of interest to me, so please keep me posted. Also for public domain songs from before 1923, there are already many sites offering lyrics and MIDI so it might be easier to compile your own book of public domain hymns from those sites. Google should find many but pdmusic.org comes to mind for others.

At 12:01 AM 2/26/07 -0500, you wrote:
We were thinking of trying to hunt down different hymnals and other song
books that people would like to see available in a reasonable format.

Are there people willing to help us in this adventure?

And naturally is it legal via Chaffee, I think it is, as these wouldn't be
dramatic works, and we do have other lyric books on the Site.

Don't even ask how accessible it will be I am willing to give it the "old
college try, smile.