[bookshare-discuss] Submitted: To steal a kingdom

  • From: "Brian Miller" <brian-r-miller@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 07:08:31 -0800

Here is the second book on Hawaiian history I am submitting for validation
today:

To steal a kingdom, Michael Dougherty, Island Press, 1992.

From the back of the book:

TO STEAL A KINGDOM is a powerful indictment of the western intrusion on
Hawai'i. It is an angry and powerful book. Angry at rapacious and greedy
westerners and sorry for the effect on Hawaiians, but it stops short of being a
polemic. There are moments within which humanize, and even romanticize, the
people who populate-it. It is an epic tale with high and low moments of
humanity.

James IMuicheon

Professor of History and American Studies Universitv ofHawai'/, Maiwa

^ Based upon archival sources and never before published material, TO STEAL A
KINGDOM documents the character and actions of the men who founded the elite
who rule Hawai'i today. Successful in stealing a kingdom, the descendants have
insured that historians would not describe these men as they were. This book
should awaken readers to the fact that myths have been passed off as Hawaiian
history by haole historians.

Stephen T. Boggs

Emeritus Professor of AnthropologyUniversity ofHawai'/. Manoa

^ As James Michener discovered, no spot on earth has attracted a richer cast of
characters than Hawai'i. In TO STEAL A KINGDOM these people come alive as they
never did for Michener, principally because they are portrayed as living flesh
and blood. I've read all the histories of Hawai'i that I could find, and I
think that Dougherty's is the best researched and documented of the lot. As one
who treasures what remains of Hawaiian culture, I have never been so overcome
with sadness and aroused by anger.

Jerry Hopkins

Author  NO ONE HERE GETS OUT ALIVE

P TO STEAL A KINGDOM is a nightmarish walk through history with the
missionary/businessmen who forced Hawai'i into the whirlpool of Manifest
Destiny. Curious, open and critical readers will welcome Dougherty's timely,
provocative probing of Hawai'i's past. i

Kekuni Blaisdell, M. D.

Professor of Medicine

Past Director Center for Hawaiian Studies __^^_^_____^_^^^^_^^__

University ofHawai'/. Manoa