[bookshare-discuss] Submitted: Broken trust

  • From: "Brian Miller" <brian-r-miller@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 07:24:14 -0800

I have just submitted for validation the third of three volumes on Hawaiian
history I am submitting today.  It is:

Broken trust: greed, mismanagement & political manipulation at America's
largest charitable trust, by Samuel P. King, University of Hawaii, 2006 (pp
300).

Here is my own synopsis of this book:

This is a riveting investigation into one of Hawaii's biggest scandals in
modern history.  The multi-billion dollar trust fund set up by the last queen
of Hawaii was to found a unique school, the King Kamehameha school, to preserve
the Hawaiian language and culture.  Instead, it has become a source of plunder
and gross mismanagement in recent decades.  This is a morality tale of good
intentions gone terribly wrong.  There is much Hawaiian history and politics to
be found in this unique story.

The scan is excellent, and I think this is a unique and interesting book for
those interested in Hawaii, and how efforts to preserve a culture can be
co-opted for nefarious purposes.

Brian Miller