[bookshare-discuss] Re: Science Fiction Meeting, Thursday July 9, 2015, 9 pm EDT, Book Nook: www.accessibleworld.org

  • From: Karen Lewellen <klewellen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 11:15:10 -0400 (EDT)

I had wondered why we were getting so many emails from Robert, does he work for bookshare, and are all these meetings somehow tied directly to the function of the service?
Just wondering,
Karen

On Tue, 16 Jun 2015, debra goodmam wrote:

Please remove me from further emails: shdowsafetyproducts@xxxxxxxxx.

On Fri, Jun 12, 2015 at 6:17 PM, Robert Acosta <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

*NEWSWIRE: THURSDAY JULY 9, 2015*

*SCIENCE FICTION MEETING, 9 PM EDT, BOOK NOOK ROOM:
WWW.ACCESSIBLEWORLD.ORG <http://WWW.ACCESSIBLEWORLD.ORG>*

*Hello Folks,*

*Well, we had a smaller than usual turnout at our most recent meeting. Bad
weather kept some of our regulars offline. But everyone who was able to
make it liked our book, Ventus by Karl Schroeder. For our next book, we???ve
selected a tale of first contact by one of the best author collaborations
in SF history: We???ve chose The Mote in God???s Eye by Larry Niven and Jerry
Pournelle.*

*The next meeting of the Science Fiction club will be on Thursday, July 9,
2015.*

*Place: Book Nook at:*

*http://conference321.com/masteradmin/room.asp?id=rs7867a2369e0e*
<http://conference321.com/masteradmin/room.asp?id=rs7867a2369e0e>

*Time: 9 PM Eastern, 8 PM Central, 7 PM Mountain, 6 PM Pacific, and 01:00
UTC.*

*Our book, The Mote in God???s Eye is available from both BARD and
Bookshare.*

*The Bookshare version is at:*

*https://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/29134*
<https://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/29134>

*and the link to the downloadable BARD version is at:*

*http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.nls/db.45438*
<http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.nls/db.45438>

*The NLS annotation reads as follows:*

*In the thirty-first century, humans make initial contact with another
intelligent species. Though the aliens seem candid, they may be concealing
their true and dangerously cunning nature.*

*Here is a review from Amazon???s page for Mote:*

*Amazon.com Review*

*In the year 3016, the Second Empire of Man spans hundreds of star
systems, thanks*

*to the faster-than-light Alderson Drive. No other intelligent beings
have ever been*

*encountered, not until a light sail probe enters a human system carrying
a dead alien.*

*The probe is traced to the Mote, an isolated star in a thick dust cloud,
and an expedition*

*is dispatched.*

*In the Mote the humans find an ancient civilization--at least one million
years*

*old--that has always been bottled up in their cloistered solar system for
lack of*

*a star drive. The Moties are welcoming and kind, yet rather evasive
about certain*

*aspects of their society. It seems the Moties have a dark problem, one
they've been*

*unable to solve in over a million years.*

*This is the first collaboration between Niven and Pournelle, two masters
of hard*

*science fiction, and it combines Pournelle's interest in the military and
sociology*

*with Niven's talent for creating interesting, believable aliens. The
novel meticulously*

*examines every aspect of First Contact, from the Moties' biology,
society, and art,*

*to the effects of the meeting on humanity's economics, politics, and
religions. And*

*all the while suspense builds as we watch the humans struggle toward the
truth.*

*--Brooks Peck*

*Come join us next month to talk about what many consider one of the best
first contact novels ever written, and anything else SF literature related.*

*Evan*

*Host: Evan Reese*

*E-Mail: **mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx* <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

*Date: ThursdayJuly 9, 2015 *

*Time: 6 pm Pacific; 7 pm Mountain; 8 pm Central; 9 pm Eastern*

*And elsewhere in the world, Friday 02 pm GMT*

*Approximately 15 minutes prior to the event start time; go to The Book
Nook Room at:*

*http://conference321.com/masteradmin/room.asp?id=rs7867a2369e0e
<http://conference321.com/masteradmin/room.asp?id=rs7867a2369e0e>*

*Or, alternatively Select The Book Nook Room at:
http://www.accessibleworld.org <http://www.accessibleworld.org>*

*Enter your first and last names on the sign-in screen.*

*All programs are recorded and archived so if you are unable to
participate live at the above times then you may download the presentation
or podcast from the Tek Talk archives on our website at
http://www.accessibleworld.org <http://www.accessibleworld.org>*

*If you are a first-time user of the Talking Communities online
conferencing software, there is a small, safe software program that you
need to download and then run. A link to the software is available on every
entry screen to the Accessible World online rooms.*

*All online interactive programs are free of charge, and open to anyone
worldwide having an Internet connection, a computer, speakers, and a sound
card. Those with microphones can interact audibly with the presenters and
others in the virtual audience or text chat with the attendees. To speak to
us, hold down the control key and talk; then let up to listen.*

*Accessible World uses News Wires, like this one, to inform people of the
topic and times for the many Discussion Groups on Accessible World. The
lists are announce only to keep the traffic to a minimum.*

*You can join the Accessible World Announce List, the Tek Talk Announce
List by sending an email to subscribe to our one-way announce list at:
awannouncements-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<awannouncements-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>.*

*Accessible World also provides a Tek Talk Discussion List. This list is
intended to give you an opportunity to ask computer related questions,
suggest topics to be used in the weekly Monday training programs, or just
to interact with others interested in using assistive devices to access
computers. You may sign up for this list by going to:*

*You can also sign up for the Tek Talk and other lists accessible world
has by going to:*

* http://accessibleworld.org <http://accessibleworld.org> and clicking on
the "News Wires and Discussion Mailing Lists" link.*

*Accessible World Contacts:*

*Robert Acosta, Chair*

*Accessible World*

*818-998-0044 <818-998-0044>*

*Email: boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>*

*Web: www.helpinghands4theblind.org <http://www.helpinghands4theblind.org>*

*Randi Shelton, Events Coordinator*

*Accessible WorldPhone:*

*412-221-0821 <412-221-0821>*

*Email: rshelton820@xxxxxxxxx <rshelton820@xxxxxxxxx>*

*Steve Hoffman, President*

*Talking Communities*

*Email: steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>*

*The Accessible World, a division of Helping Hands For The Blind, a
501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization, seeks to educate the general public,
the disabled community and the professionals who serve them by providing
highly relevant information about new products, services, and training
opportunities designed specifically to eliminate geographic and access
barriers that adversely affect them**.*

Robert Acosta, President

Helping Hands for the Blind

(818) 998-0044