[bookshare-discuss] Re: Question About OpenBook and Hard Returns

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 22:21:14 -0800

Yes, that was it.  I scanned the same page with collumn detection on and off,
and the problem disappeared with collumns enabled.

The irony is that I always keep column detection enabled. This is a Science
Fiction book, and at the beginning is a list of units of time in terms of light
speed, such as light-year, light-month, light-day, etc. and the equivalent
distance.  OpenBook broke this up into collumns, so I turned collumn detection
off and neglected to turn it on again.  I just figured, "What difference would
it make since there are no collumns in the book anyhow."  But it does make a
difference, and I won't forget this in the future.

I'm going to submit this book anyhow.  It is _CUSP_ by Robert A. Metzger.  I'm
pretty sure that people who like hard SF will really enjoy it.  I know I did,
and I've read a lot of this kind of stuff.  Because besides this issue the text
is in nearly perfect shape.  (I would say it is in perfect shape, since I have
read every word and corrected every error I found.  But I'm not a certified
proofreader, and sometimes I miss things when I'm really enjoying a book.  My
brain just sometimes seems to fix things in my head without telling me
something's wrong on the page.)  But I can say that the text is very, very
good.  Also, following the advice of you and others on this list, the book
contains all page numbers and all page breaks - including all blank pages.  I
just hope that the result doesn't look too terrible for Braille readers.

Thanks, again.