[bookshare-discuss] Re: Pride and Prejudice

  • From: "Kim Friedman" <kimfri11@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 15:05:51 -0700

There do seem to be a superfluity of books concerned with the doings of
Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy. I don't know if Jane Austen would
approve, but in any case, her work is in the public domain, thus leaving
other intrepid souls the freedom to mess with the characters. I don't
know what to think of this state of affairs. On the one hand, I like
creativity in principle, yet I didn't at all care for the idea of Sense
And Sensibility and Sea Monsters.
 I wonder why the author just didn't make up his own characters without
writing a book using ones that have been made up by the original author.
It's one thing to play in an author's universe (usually it is made clear
that other authors are welcome to contribute stories and suchlike) and
quite another thing to grab the author's characters and mess about with
them. Am I wrong that this is a new thing or has it been going on before
Mr. Grahame-Smith did this? Regards, Kim. P.S.: Can someone message me
back if you get this? My email server wasn't sending messages to me and
nothing was going out. K.