[bookshare-discuss] Re: OT: Jeopardy

  • From: "Amy Goldring Tajalli" <agoldringtajalli@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 15:55:40 -0400

To Kellie, Brian, and all you who are talking yourselves out of trying for or becoming a Jeopardy contestant:

There will always be categories you are sure you know nothing about - mine is sports, but I have noticed that I end up with correct answers, If I have any answer, about 50% of the time. The clue is not to make wild guesses but semi-educated are okay, Ken Jennings surprised himself with correct answers hundreds of times. You could see it on his face or hear it in is voice. So did Eddie. If you judge yourself against how them, first find out how they did in the preliminaries and how many times they failed the test. I think Ken tried 3 times before making it.
As for dates: you don't need to know the exact ones very often or I would be sunk. I always learned that they whys and hows of history are important, the who's also but less, and the exact dates could always be looked up. Most English school kids know the dates of all major British historical events - they have to memorize them. But that tells us nothing about how they do in life or what they really know or understand about history. We all have dates we remember because of things in our own lives and it is those dates that help us put things in context. It seems to me that the dates I remember or can "guess" are ones related to events in my own life. I remember the 1968 convention not because Dan Rather was hit and ended up on the floor or because Walter Cronkite lost his cool but because my sister was going home from her waitress job that afternoon and was in the wrong place at the wrong time and was gasses 5 times by the police. And I know it was not just plain tear gas because someone she knew warned her to either dunk her whole face/head in the near fountain or not get wet at all because it was pepper spray and would cause blisters if slightly wet. The kid who warned her had been in political demos in Paris and learned the hard way. We all have memories connected to dates and or places and everything I remember about that convention is because of my sisters connections to what I was watching. If had had not heard her stories I probably would not have remembered about Dan Rather and Walter the unflappable. I was busy taking courses and trying to get my BA un 2 2/3 years (and succeeded). I am amazed I saw any tv that year.

I think both of you should try as well as anyone else reading this who can and are hesitant for their reasons. Hell. What have you got to lose ? And if you try and don't make it you need not tell anyone until you finally do. We will know when we see you on the show and just getting on is a success. How you would do on the show is the luck of the draw with topics and with betting at the end. You can't win if you don't play and if you lose it all on the lfinal jeopardy we will remember that you had the guts to gamble.

Amy

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kellie Hartmann" <hart0421@xxxxxxx>