[bookshare-discuss] Re: Just for Fun - Name Five Books You Wish You Hadn't Read

  • From: Chela Robles <cdrobles693@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2011 10:16:29 -0700

I hated War Is A Force That Gives Us Meaning bye Chris Hedges which
was a required text in college English class and the Jane Austin
collec tion too mushy for me hated the movie becoming Jane too because
I fell asleep in it and so yeh, not the chickflick type.

On 9/1/11, Lori Castner <loralee.castner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi, Judy and Everyone,
>
> This was an interesting question!
>
> The five books I wish I hadn't read, several of which I did not complete,
> are:
>
> 1. The Listeners by Taylor Caldwell.  I am a big fan of this author and have
> read a majority of her books.  I could not finish this one; I kept going to
> sleep and did not like the theme of the book at all.
> 2.  The Bridge of San Luis Rey by Thorton Wilder.  I read this in high
> school and could barely get through it but was required to do so.  I
> attempted to read it as an adult, sure I missed something, but could not get
> through it a second time.
> 3.  Doctor Zhivago.  Both the novel and the movy were extremely popular; I
> did not care for or understand either one.  I read the novel as a teenager,
> and attempted to read it again as an adult and still did not get the reasons
> for its popularity.
> 4. War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy.  My sister loved this novel, and I
> thoroughly enjoyed Anna Karenina, so I read "War and Peace".  I struggled to
> get through it.  I think the large number of names and the many scenes about
> the Napoleanic battles just put me off.  I do plan to read this one again
> though because I'm sure it has something valuable to say.
> 5.  The Harry Potter books.  I read about one-third of the first book and
> decided I just didn't care about Harry or his problems.  I loved the Narnia
> books and read them as a child and again as an adult.
>
> Lori C.

"To me, music that breaks your heart is the music that stays with you
forever. It's one thing to be melancholy and one thing to be sophisticated,
but when you get the two of them together in a way people can relate to,
then I think you're on to something. You want the sophistication to lie in
the purity of the sound, the beauty of the arrangements, and the quality of
the performances."-Trumpeter Chris Botti
--
Chela Robles
E-Mail/GoogleTalk/AIM/MySpace/LinkedIn: cdrobles693@xxxxxxxxx