[bookshare-discuss] Re: Just for Fun - Name Five Books You Wish You Hadn't Read

  • From: "Kim Friedman" <kimfri11@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2011 02:43:39 -0700

Hi, Judy, now this is an interesting topic, but I must say that the
articles I wish I hadn't read were required for completing class work
assignments. Unfortunately, I can't remember their names because they
were quite forgettable and the writing style tended to be turgid or the
articles were written in such a fashion that I wondered why the writer
bothered to write them in the first place because if they were trying to
say something, it appeared they were wasting ink to say practically
nothing, as far as I was concerned. As far as the Harry Potter books go,
I stopped after Book four in the series, i.e., Goblet of Fire. I've yet
to read the other three because I needed a break from Potter et al.
(Apparently I still need a break from him.) I can't say I didn't wish I
hadn't read the Narnia books but I definitely prefer Tolkien over Lewis
as far as fantasy literature goes. (I did like the Screwtape letters by
Lewis, though.) Other books I wish I hadn't read: 1. Who's Afraid of
Virginia Woolf by Edward Albee because of the way the characters treated
each other (they were horrid and nasty, though I can't say I regretted
reading it because I was curious about it. I think it was salutary, yet
quite disturbing.) 2. Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. (Very
depressing and I wasn't quite sure what it was trying to say.) 3. The
Stranger by Albert Camus. (Again, very depressing. I just don't get
existentialist literature. This book and the one previously mentioned
[#2 on my list] were required reading for a freshman English and the
professor's choices were all depressing, aarrg.) 4. To the Lighthouse by
Virginia Woolf (I don't think this book had a discernible plot. I really
don't care for stream-of-consciousness writing. It didn't really have a
"story" if you get what I'm saying.) 5. Titus Andronicus by William
Shakespeare. (Very bloody and gruesome and quite over-the-top tragedy.)
6. The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky. (I couldn't identify
with the characters and couldn't understand why they felt the way they
did or the reasons behind their decisions to perform whatever action
they decided to perform. I feel quite ambivalent about this one because
I wanted to read it, but it left me bewildered which I think pushes it
into the "why-did-I-want-to-read-this? category.) 7. Children of the
Corn by Stephen King. (In fact, I can't say I actually read the story,
but I heard it read on a radio program called The Graveyard Shift. King
is much too gruesome for my liking.) Regards, Kim Friedman.