[bookshare-discuss] Re: Html filtering programs?

  • From: Karen Lewellen <klewellen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 15:32:27 -0500 (EST)

Thanks for your wisdom here.
Karen

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006, L. Sammons wrote:

Karen and Jake.

I have been following your discussion with some interest. I believe the reason that the books are supplied with an HTML option is to ensure that anybody who downloads a book can read it. If you have a browser you can read the file. But if you read the file with a Daisy reader or a browser you cannot edit the file. The file is watermark with the name of the person who downloaded the file and should not be modified. Of course a more sophisticated user can load the HTML file into a word processor and edit it. But it should not be edited. It should be a read only file. The Daisy reader and the browser are read only devices. I think that is the reason that HTML is provided and not text.

Karen has said several times that she does not want to have to go online to read the book. It is not necessary to be online. The browser can be used like a stand-alone program. Simply use the menu at the top to open the file and you will not be online. The edit feature will allow you to find a place in your text.

I have been using bookshare since it's very early days,. Before the Daisy reader was offered ,and have found the HTML format to be the most convenient. Also recently a little program available on the Web from nextup.com called text aloud MP3 inserts a toolbar into Internet Explorer and makes it very easy to have the copy read aloud. The program is available with a free download using Microsoft voices and can be purchased for $30 which includes some much better voices.

In addition text aloud will convert any book into MP3 files which can be loaded on to a portable MP3 player and thus become portable.

I hope this information will help.

Sam

----- Original Message ----- From: "Karen Lewellen" <klewellen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>