[bookshare-discuss] Re: Html filtering programs?

  • From: Karen Lewellen <klewellen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 15:31:02 -0500 (EST)

Mike, jake, and everyone,
First outdated for whom? You know not what tools I am using, and I for one would never sit in judgment of another persons choices. I do not know their story, and unless you are personally prepared to learn it and if desired remedy it, then the golden rule should apply.
Second, Jake, there is a real solution to this problem that does not require any of the programs you suggested, and indeed puts this more on a even playing field.

On another list where I asked the same question, those noted that I mentioned using Linux to unpack the item and suggested a tool commonly a part of Linux distributions to solve the problem.
It mirrors the save suggestion you made Jake, but is far less costly to those in the bookshare target market as it is entirely or almost entirly free, grin.
Still one must unpack first, which was not something you included in your browser suggestion.
Such certainly protects bookshare from legality since as someone else wisely noted, HTML does at least allow you to read the file, and with some research there are methods that render the file into text that do not involve explorer, openbook, or anything else.
Not to resend my statement above to Mike about judging others, but Mike, your method sounds more complicated than it would be worth in my opinion, not that I am labeling your choices then or now.
with that you can all get on with your Saturday, and I can in good conscious register for bookshare and more importantly encourage others to do so without making judgments about their tools or assuming they are using mine.
Karen

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006, Mike Pietruk wrote:

Karen

Your problem here is mainly due to working with outdated tools rather than
the material itself.
I used to use Readit for Bookshare books; but rather than downloading the
daisy versions, I opted for the .brf files,
back-translated it into text with NFBTrans, and then read them with
Readit.
That will work well.

Readit, for those unfamiliar with the program, is a dos-based text reader
which, in its day, was the best thing around.
Readit will not work on today's faster machines not only due to it being
dos but also, for whatever reason, it runs into problems with
processors faster than 900 mhz or so.
So, other than on legacy computers, the days of Readit are gone.