[bookshare-discuss] For Valerie

  • From: "Monica Willyard" <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 20:42:55 -0400

Hi Valerie. It would be cool to have you as one of our proofreaders. (smile)
You'll find lots of help available if you choose to give it a shot.
Bookshare only accepts books as rtf files, and they are already processed
with OCR software. You can use the program you're comfortable with for
proofreading. Many of us either use Word, Kurzweil, Openbook, or a Braille
notetaker for proofreading. When it comes to book submissions, most of the
time, a volunteer has at least run the spellchecker on the book. Many of our
volunteers read the book before submitting. That isn't always true, but it's
happening more these days because of the strong commitment of our volunteers
and their willingness to learn how to scan well.

I always feel excited when someone expresses an interest in volunteering,
whether it's proofreading or scanning, because the work we do for Bookshare
literally changes people's lives. From comforting a lonely, newly-blind
grandmother to inspiring a little boy with autism to become a biochemist who
searches for a cure for cancer, our work touches people in ways that we can
hardly imagine. I feel such pride and affection for every volunteer who
works to make the world of books more accessible, meeting the wants or needs
of someone, somewhere. This is what inspires me and keeps me going when a
book I'm working on seems a little too thick at times.

You may find it easier to learn how the process of proofreading works if you
take a book rated excellent to start with. Books rated good tend to have
more complex issues that are probably better left to someone who has a
little more experience. I'm not saying you can't take a book that's rated
good. You are free to take any book that interests you. The books rated good
are sort of like the advanced slope at a ski resort, open to anyone but
prone to cause confusion and wrong turns to new adventurers. (smile)

In the beginning, we were a bunch of ragtag pioneers trying to just level
the ground enough to build. We were all self-taught and were just glad to
get legible words from our technology. That began to change as we began to
share tips, encourage each other, and learned how to make the most of our
technology. We have submitters who are very new to computers working
alongside people who have been scanning for decades. The same is true of
proofreaders. I like that dynamic because if I get confused, there is always
someone around who has been through the same thing and knows how to help me.
I found out quickly that if I made a mistake, someone else had made it too,
and no one got upset about it. We have our little disagreements about how we
do things from time to time, as any family or friends might do. Yet I still
think I work with some of the best people on the planet and hope you'll come
to know them as I have.

Monica Willyard

  _____