[bookshare-discuss] Re: Book wish

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 15:57:19 -0600

I've recommended it to several friends who can read regular books, after reading my Bookshare copy. smile. It's a really good read, especially if you have any interest in working dogs or in military history. The printed book and the Bookshare version both have some good photos in it for the sighted, especially the cover, which I loved. The cover features a really striking close-up photo of the face and shoulders and front paws of a military German Shepherd who is perched looking out of the hatch of a U.S. Marine armored personnel carrier.

Judy

misha wrote:
I think I'll look for it for my friend, anyway.

Misha

On 1/25/2012 10:24 PM, Judy s. wrote:
Hi Shelley,

Sergeant Rex is already in the collection. I read it, and it's a fascinating story! Here's the link to it:

http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/422236/

Shelley L. Rhodes wrote:
Sergeant Rex - The Unbreakable Bond Between a Marine and His Military Working Dog by Mike Dowling. Deployed into the cauldron of Iraq in 2004, Sgt. Dowling and his dog, Rex, were part of the first military working-dog team sent to the front lines since Vietnam. Filled with harrowing tales of bomb-detection work, "Sergeant Rex" is both a heart-pounding and heart-warming account of how an unbreakable human-canine bond helped Dowling and Rex to stay focused on their mission and save countless lives.
Shelley L. Rhodes, M.A. CVRT
and Ludden black Labrador Guide Dog.
In a library we are surrounded by many hundreds of dear friends imprisoned by an enchanter in paper and leathern boxes. -Ralph Waldo Emerson, writer and philosopher (1803-1882)