[bookshare-discuss] Book submitted: Emma and Co.

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 10:38:57 -0500

Emma and Co. by Sheila Hocken, this is the sequel to Emma V.I.P. which we
don't have, and the Prequel to After Emma which we do have.

Will be hunting up Emma VIP next.

Needs spell checked, but besides that, will be an easy validation, I read it
through and fixed stuff as I went.  Is a british book but scanned here, and
borrowed from a library in PA.
In Emma and Co readers will be delighted to renew their acquaintance with
Sheila Hocken, her family and, of course, her dogs. Since the miraculous
operation which restored her sight Sheila in gratitude to Emma, her devoted
guide-dog, companion and best friend, has grown into a love of all dogs -
and in particular chocolate-coloured Labradors. Perhaps it is because in
watching them grow up she can see for the first time how Emma herself must
have looked as a young dog, dancing with excitement at the prospect of going
out wearing her distinctive guide-dog harness. Now, as Emma enjoys her well-
earned retirement, the other dogs take up more and more time for Sheila, her
husband Don and their daughter Kerensa.

There is Bracken, full of fun and mischief; Buttons, whose first litter of
puppies gives problems but also great pride: one of them is accepted by the
Guide-Dog Association to be trained as a guide-dog. There is Mocha,
beautiful but absentminded; Teak, whom she buys for Don's birthday to make a
change from aftershave and socks; and Shadow, with whom she develops a great
interest in Obedience Trials. All of them appear here and will certainly
endear themselves to the reader as they have already done to the Hocken
family.

Emma and Co is full of delightful (and sometimes disastrous) anecdotes, both
human and animal. But there is great sorrow in it too, for in the end Sheila
must learn to live without the dog who was her 'eyes' for many years.

juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs For the Blind Inc.
Graduate Advisory Council
www.guidedogs.com