[bookshare-discuss] Re: Book Policy for Children

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 21:30:25 -0500

You are essentially making a point that I have been trying to make
repeatedly, but nobody seems to get it. That is that there is nothing
wrong with categorizing books in categories like children or teen or
even adult. That goes a long way to provide the guidance that someone
else here thought was so importan notwithstanding that many books in
the collection are miscategorized. I would say that most children
would look in the children's category for their reading material, but
if they wanted to browse the adult categories and sample what was
there then they could do so. It is likely that after they had sampled
a few such books they would realize they did not understand them and
would go back to the children's category with no harm done. In case a
precocious little tyke did find something in the adult sections that
he or she did understand and did find enjoyable or useful then fine,
that child is ready for it. I expect that most adults would pretty
much confine themselves to the adult categories -- I would -- but
there might be any number of adults who are interested in children's
literature for some reason and they could browse and sample those
children's books as much as they wanted. The same goes for the teen
categories, except I have found that there is little difference
between a teen book and an adult book except that in the fiction the
protagonists are usually teenagers and those books usually try to
avoid so-called "adult" language as if teenagers do not use such
language on a nearly daily basis anyway. The point is that if everyone
is permitted to read whatever they want then they would end up sorting
out what is appropriate for themselves by themselves and no harm would
come to anyone. It is such a simple concept, personal choice. There is
no reason to decide for other people that if they are a child or even
a young adult who has not yet reached that arbitrary age of eighteen
that they cannot be allowed to access books categorized as adult and
there is no reason that adults should be prohibited from accessing
children's books. When one looks outside of one's usual interests one
just might find something that is worthwhile or enjoyable. I know I
have. I also know that usually when I do so I just find boring stuff,
but that is just that sorting out of appropriateness in action.